Click below to learn more about your program of studies.
MS Degree Requirements (35 cr.)
Students admitted to the MS program must complete at least 35 credit hours of graduate course work with a minimum cumulative GPA in certificate courses of 3.0.
Complete the following list of requirements:
Public Health Foundations Requirement (0 credits)
All new Master's degree students should complete the Public Health Foundations online course prior to registering for their first semester courses. Complete details and registration information for this course can be found at the following Website: https://iu.instructure.com/enroll/MNG3L6.
Complete the following required courses. (21 credits):
- SPH-Q 501 Introduction to Statistics in Public Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 510 Philosophy of Leisure and Recreation (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 512 Administrative Theory and Management Practices in Leisure Services (3 cr.) --or--
- SPH-R 511 Organizational Leadership of Leisure Services (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 542 Fiscal Management in Recreation Administration (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 544 Legal Aspects of Recreation (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 585 Leisure as a Determinant of Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-X 590 Introduction to Research in Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation (3 cr.)
Remaining Electives (9-12 Credits)
Complete electives to reach the required minimum 35 graduate-level credits. Electives must be selected with advisor approval.
Management and Administration
- SPH-R 571 Recreational Sports Administration (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 574 Human Resource Management in Recreational Sports (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 695 Practicum in Recreation and, Parks (1 – 3 cr.)
Theory and Foundations
- EDUC-Y 520 Strategies for Educationational Inquiry (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 685 Survey Methodology in Public Health Research (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 691 Readings in Recreation (2 – 3 cr.)
Topics and Trends
- SPH-B 535 Contemporary Issues in Aging and Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 524 Fundraising for Public and Nonprofit Agencies (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 573 Seminar in Recreational Sports, TOPIC: Current Events in Recreation Administration (2 cr.)
- SPH-R 693 Independent Study and Research (3 cr.)
Capstones Courses (2-5 Credits). Complete one of the following courses.
- SPH-R 598 Master's Project in Administration (2-4 cr.)
- SPH-R 697 Internships in Recreation and Parks (3 cr.)