Explore the side tabs to see how our degree can help you works towards your professional goals.
About the Program
The Master of Public Health with a concentration in Physical Activity trains professionals to effectively quantify physical activity, monitor populations, and design interventions focused on improving health through the promotion of physical activity. You will learn how to:
- assess physical activity behavior;
- apply behavioral theories when designing physical activity interventions;
- use epidemiology techniques to describe the relationship between physical activity and health; and,
- develop public health policies aimed at impacting physical activity behavior.
You will have the opportunity to work with faculty with interdisciplinary interests such as health games, community health, rural health, nature and physical activity, worksite wellness, recreation, promotion and marketing, and disabilities.
Public health organizations have recently turned their attention to physical activity, a modifiable behavior, as a means to improve physical and mental health, quality of life, and reduce an risk for chronic diseases. Public interest in a healthy lifestyle is increasing the demand for public health professionals.
Below is a list of a few settings in which you could work:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Local, state, and federal government
- Nonprofit organizations
- Businesses and corporations
- County and state health departments
- Health foundations and health-based grant projects.
Individuals who earn a public health degree with a concentration in physical activity will be well-suited to play an integral role in multidisciplinary teams centered on health promotion and disease prevention. A public health degree in physical activity can lead to career positions such as the following:
- Community Health Promotion Specialist
- Community Physical Activity Specialist
- Physical Activity Epidemiologist
- Nutrition and Physical Activity Program Manager
- Physical Activity Policy Analyst
- Public Health Advisor