Click below to learn more about your program of studies.
A minimum of 44 graduate credit hours is required for this program. A minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) is required for graduation. A minimum grade of C is required in each course. All electives for completing the degree must be approved by the advisor. Prerequisite courses may be prescribed for students lacking sufficient background for graduate study in public health.
MPH Master of Public Health Degree Requirements (44-47 credits)
Public Health Foundations Requirement (0 credits)
All MPH students should complete the Public Health Foundations online course prior to registering for their first semester courses. Complete details and registration information for this course can be found at the following Website: https://iu.instructure.com/enroll/MNG3L6.
MPH Degree Core (20 credits)Integrated Public Health Core (12 credits)
Complete each of the following courses.
- SPH-X 601 Assessment and Public Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-X 650 Evidence-Based Approaches to Public Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-X 660 Population Health Determinates (3 cr.)
- SPH-X 685 Public Health Policy and Politics (3 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses.
- SPH-X 610 Professional Development Seminar 1 (2 cr.)
- SPH-X 611 Professional Development Seminar 2 (2 cr.)
- SPH-X 696 Professional Practice Experience in Public Health (4 cr.)
Parks and Recreation Concentration (12 credits)
Required Concentration Courses (12 credits)
Complete four of the following five courses (12 cr.).
- SPH-O 510 Human Health, Quality of Life, and Natural Environments (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 510 Philosophy of Leisure and Recreation (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 512 Administrative Theory and Management Practices in Leisure Services (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 585 Leisure as a Determinant of Public Health (3 cr.) --or-- SPH-R 550 Special Concerns in Parks and Recreation, TOPIC: Leisure as a Determinant of Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 685 Trends in Survey Methodology and Public Health Research (3 cr.)
Additional Graduate Certificate (12-15 credits)
Complete all courses in one of the following certificate programs. (12-15 credits)
Online Graduate Certificate in Gerontology and Health (12 credits)
Successful completion of the following requirements earns the student an online graduate Certificate in Gerontology and Health.
- SPH-H 524 –or-- EDUC-P 513 Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Gerontology (3 cr.)
- EDUC-D 505 Adult Learning through the Lifespan (3 cr.)
- EDUC-D 506 Adult Education Planning and Development (3 cr.)
- EDUC-P 517 Adult Development and Aging (3 cr.)
- EDUC-P 518 Social Aspects of Aging and Aging Families (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 535 Contemporary Issues in Aging and Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 615 Health Longevity, and Integrative Therapies for the Later Years (3 cr.)
Online Graduate Certificate in Sexual and Reproductive Health (15 credits)
Successful completion of the following four courses earns the student an online graduate Certificate in Sexual and Reproductive Health.
- SPH-B 589 Social and Behavioral Determinants of Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 630 Sexual and Reproductive Health Surveillance (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 632 Sexual Health: Contemporary Discoveries and Controversies (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 633 Advanced Instructional Methods in Sexual and Reproductive Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-B 634 Sexual Health Research and Evaluation (3 cr.)
Online Graduate Certificate in Safety Management (12 credits)
Successful completion of the following four courses earns the student an online graduate Certificate in Safety Management.
- SPH-S 502 Instructional Strategies for Safety Education (3 cr.)
- SPH-S 513 Safety Management in Business and Industry (3 cr.)
- SPH-S 610 Occupational Risk Management (3 cr.)
- SPH-S 632 Safety & Health Program Design (3 cr.)
Online Graduate Certificate in Addiction Intervention (15 credits)
Successful completion of the following five courses earns the student an online graduate Certificate in Addiction Intervention.
- SPH-H 664 Public Health Approaches to Substance Abuse Prevention for Adolescents and Young Adults (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 665 Substance Abuse Treatment for Adolescents and Young Adults in the Context of Public Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 666 Introduction to Co-Occurring Substance Use and Mental Health Disorders for Public Health Professionals (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 667 History of Public Health Approaches to Addiction Treatment and Recovery for Adolescents and Young Adults (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 668 Motivational Interviewing (3 cr.)