Open Research and Contributor Identifier
University of Texas at Austin, Ph.D., 2014
University of Texas at Austin, M.A., 2011
Swarthmore College, B.A., 2005
- 2018-present: Assistant Professor, School of Public Health, Indiana University Bloomington
- 2018-present: Licensed Psychologist (#20043160A), Indiana
- 2016-2021: Principal Investigator, Pharmacoepidemiologic Studies of Prescription Opioid Analgesic Risks (NIH/NIDA Grant #K99/R00DA040727)
- 2015-2016: Postdoctoral Trainee, Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (NIH/NCATS Grant #TL1TR001107)
- 2014-2018: Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Indiana University Bloomington
- 2013-2014: APA-Accredited Pre-Doctoral Clinical Psychology Internship with Adult Generalist Emphasis, Indiana University School of Medicine
- 2012-2013: Principal Investigator, Alcohol Response, Cognitive Impairment, and Alcohol-Related Negative Consequences (NIH/NIAAA Grant #F31AA020725)
Dr. Quinn uses longitudinal data on individuals and families to study the causes and consequences of substance use. A primary area of his research analyzes large-scale healthcare records and related data to examine pharmacotherapies with the potential for abuse, particularly opioid pain medications and ADHD medications. More broadly, he also uses epidemiologic and behavioral genetic studies to examine the development of substance use problems in the context of ADHD and other externalizing psychopathology, as well as to test hypotheses regarding the behavioral effects of substance use.
Quinn, P. D., Hur, K., Chang, Z., Scott, E. L., Krebs, E. E., Bair, M. J., . . . D'Onofrio, B. M. (2018). Association of mental health conditions and treatments with long-term opioid analgesic receipt among adolescents. JAMA Pediatrics, 172, 423-430.
Chang, Z ., Quinn, P. D., Hur, K., Gibbons, R. D., Sjölander, A., Larsson, H., & D'Onofrio, B. M. (2017). Association between medication use for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and risk of motor vehicle crashes. JAMA Psychiatry, 74, 597-603.
Quinn, P. D., Chang, Z., Hur, K., Gibbons, R. D., Lahey, B. B., Rickert, M. E., . . . D'Onofrio, B. M. (2017). ADHD medication and substance-related problems. American Journal of Psychiatry, 174, 877-885.
Quinn, P. D., Hur, K., Chang, Z., Krebs, E. E., Bair, M. J., Scott, E. L., . . . D'Onofrio, B. M. (2017). Incident and long-term opioid therapy among patients with psychiatric conditions and medications: A national study of commercial health care claims. Pain, 158, 140-148.
Quinn, P. D., Rickert, M. E., Weibull, C. E., Johansson, A. L. V., Lichtenstein, P., Almqvist, C., . . . D'Onofrio, B. M. (2017). Association between maternal smoking during pregnancy and severe mental illness in offspring. JAMA Psychiatry, 74, 589-596.
Sujan, A. C., Rickert, M. E., Öberg, A. S., Quinn, P. D., Hernández-Díaz, S., Almqvist, C., . . . D'Onofrio, B. M. (2017). Associations of maternal antidepressant use during the first trimester of pregnancy with preterm birth, small for gestational age, autism spectrum disorder, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in offspring. JAMA, 317, 1553-1562.
Quinn, P. D., Pettersson, E., Lundström, S., Anckarsäter, H., Långström, N., Gumpert, C. H., . . . D'Onofrio, B. M. (2016). Childhood attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms and the development of adolescent alcohol problems: A prospective, population-based study of Swedish twins. American Journal of Medical Genetics. Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 171, 958-970.